Benefits of creating a template:
- Templates increase flexibility and provide consistency across the project.
- They can be improved regularly to meet technological and instructional requirements as well as your needs. You can easily track them and update them.
- They are easy to use: Having access to a library of templates gives you the flexibility of being able to choose from diverse set options, without needing to configure anything.
- Creating a release from a template saves time.
- Using a template to add a release minimizes the risk of errors.
The steps to create Enterprise, Project, and Independent Release Template are similar with minor differences. To know how these templates differ from each other, see Enterprise vs Project vs Independent Release Template.
Add/Edit Release Template
To create a Release template from scratch:
- Navigate to the ‘Release Manager’ page.
- Click the Templates toggle button.
- Click .
- Click the release template that you want to create from the drop down. A pop up displays. To edit an existing template, search and select the template from the grid and click to open.
- Fill in the fields in the sections as follows:
|ID||Mandatory; Enter the Release ID.|
|Name||Mandatory; Enter the Release name. This field can be pre-populated in templates to keep naming conventions consistent. For example, if the 'Name' must contain the year and month, type (YY).(MM).|
|Description||Free text; Enter a description for the release.|
|Type||Select a release type from the drop down. You can customize Release Type using Release Type Customization.|
|Scheduler Color||Auto populates based on the release type selected. You can change the color from the drop-down.|
|Portfolio Association||Mandatory; Select a portfolio association. To manage a portfolio association, see Organization Structure|
|Status||Mandatory field and visible only while editing. Select a status from the drop-down. To manage release status, see Release Status Customization.|
|Risk Level||Mandatory; Select from the drop-down. To manage Risk Levels, see Release Risk Level Customization.|
|Location||Enter a location.|
|Release Dependency||Select a release dependency, if any. This field is editable only in Project and Independent Release.
The Enterprise Releases, that are not in an 'End State', will appear to choose from. When editing this field, the 'Phase/Gates Migration' pop-up appears for you to select how the Phases and Gates and their associated Activities and Criteria need to be handled. See 'Phase/Gates Migration' options for more details.
Select an Owner from the drop-down. You can choose any user or user group as an owner. The selected owner will be added automatically under the Stakeholders tab as an ‘Accountable Stakeholder’. If you select another Owner, the previous owner will still be an Accountable Stakeholder.
‘Linked Releases’ section
You cannot edit this section in a template.
- Created On and Last Updated fields display only while editing a template. They show the Release’s created and updated date and are not editable.
- Select an Implementation Date (Mandatory field.) Selecting an Implementation Date will also select Release Packages that correspond to that date if Release Packages have been enabled in Release Package Customization.
‘Additional Information’ section
Fill in the fields in this section. This section contains custom fields and tabs, which administrators have added using Release Custom Fields Customization. These fields will vary between each Plutora installation. Consult your administrator for the procedure for filling in these fields.
The permission to see a custom field tab is set in Release Custom Fields Customization.
You can attach URLs and/or Files. To add a new attachment:
- Click .
- Select Add URL or Add File.
- In the case of a URL, the ‘Add URL’ pop-up displays. Enter the URL in the field and click . In the case of a File, select an attachment file and click Open.
The selected URL or file display in the ‘Attachment’ section.
‘Phases and Gates’ section
This feature enables you to add phases and gates to the release. Phases are periods in a release where activities need to be completed, eg design, development, testing, deployment, etc. Whereas, Gates are milestone points in time where a criterion or approval needs to be met for the release to remain on schedule.
Click at the bottom of the pop-up to open the ‘Phases and Gates’ panel. For instructions to add and manage Phases and Gates, see Manage Phases and Gates.
Release Manifest tab
Add and manage stakeholders for the Release in the ‘Stakeholders’ tab. For details, see Manage Stakeholder.
This tab displays the Activities/Criteria linked to the Release. To add and manage Activities/Criteria, see Manage Release Activities.
After making all the required entries, click on the Release Template pop-up.
The template is now added and will be available on the Templates grid.
The next step after creating a template is to add an Enterprise Release Schedule using this template.
Edit Release Template
To edit an existing Release Template, search the template on the Releases grid (with the Templates toggle button on). For search and filter options, see Search and Filter Options on Release Manager. Click on the Release ID or Release Name to open and edit the template. For details, see the above sections.
Enterprise vs Project vs Independent Release
View Audit History
View ‘Audit History’ of a Release Template to access the history of the events and updates associated with this template. To view the ‘Audit History’, click at the top-right corner of the Release pop-up. For more information, see Audit History.
You can share a template’s URL by clicking at the top right corner of the pop-up. Then paste the URL into another application or document to be shared. For further information, see Copy URL.
Add to Favourites
You can add a template to your Favourites. For this, click on in the header of the pop-up. For more details, see Favourites.
Make Release Templates Visible to all Users
To make Release Templates visible to all the users:
- Go to Settings > Customization > Releases.
- Click Release Setup.
- Select Enable Create release from templates.
- Click .
Your Release Templates will now be visible to all the users.