- Enterprise Release: An Enterprise Release is used to group multiple project releases together under one Release (for example, a release that affects systems across multiple portfolios that have dependencies). Changes cannot be assigned to Enterprise Releases, only to the child Project Releases.
- Project Release: Project Releases are intended to be child Releases of an Enterprise Release, although they can also stand alone.
- Independent Release: Independent Releases are used to represent independent, normally low impact, releases that have no dependencies.
See Introduction to Release Manager to filter and find templates in the Release Manager grid. There are two ways to add a release:
- From the ‘Template’ grid
- Directly from the template
You must have the relevant user permissions to add/edit a Release.
|Release Type||User Permission|
|Enterprise||To add: Create Enterprise Release
To edit: Update Enterprise Release
|Project||To add: Create Project Release
To edit: Update Project Release
|Independent||To add: Create Independent Release
To edit: Update Independent Release
To be able to access the ‘Templates’ toggle button, you must have ‘Manage Release Templates’ permission.
From the ‘Templates’ grid
- Navigate to the ‘Release Manager’ page.
- Click the Template toggle button.
- Search and select the template from which you want to create a Release.
- Click .
- On ‘Create Release From Template’ pop up, under 1. Select Template section, the selected template will be displayed. You can choose a different template from the drop-down, if needed.
- The fields under 2. Enter new release information section auto-populates the data from the template. Update the fields as follows:
|Release ID||Mandatory; Update the auto-populated Release ID from the template.|
|Release Name||Mandatory; Update the Release name.|
|Description||Enter a description or use the template data.|
|Portfolio Association||Select a Portfolio Association from the drop-down or use the template data.|
|Owner||Select an Owner from the drop-down. You can choose any user or user group as an owner. The selected owner will be added automatically under the Stakeholders tab as an ‘Accountable Stakeholder’. If you select another Owner, the previous owner will still be an Accountable Stakeholder.|
|Release Dependency||Select a release dependency, if any. This field is editable only in Project and Independent Release.
The Enterprise Releases, that are not in an 'End State', will appear to choose from. When editing this field, the 'Phase/Gates Migration' pop-up appears for you to select how the Phases and Gates and their associated Activities and Criteria need to be handled. See 'Phase/Gates Migration' options for more details.
|Implementation Date||Mandatory; Select an Implementation Date for the Release. All the phases, gates, activities, and criterion dates will be adjusted based on this date.
|Open the release after creation||Selected by default. If remain selected, the Release will open after creation so that you can make further updates|
- Click . This button enables only after you select the Implementation Date for the Release.
A new release will be created and ready for updates.
See What’s Next for the next step after creating a new release.
Directly from the template
Another pop up ‘Create Release From Template’ displays with the template details selected by default. Fill in the fields in the pop-up to create a new release. For details, refer to the table in the above section.
The new Release is now created and available in the ‘Releases’ grid.
The next step after creating a new release is to add and manage Phases and Gates to the release.
Enterprise vs Project vs Independent Release
Create Enterprise Release from Template
If you are creating an Enterprise Release from the Template, under 1. Select Template section in the ‘Create Release From Template’ pop-up the linked Child Release Template(s) will also be displayed. The child Release Template(s) will be selected by default. You can opt to deselect those templates as per your Release requirements.
If you proceed with the child Release Template(s) selected, you need to enter the details for the new child Releases as well.